Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
~1 Timothy 4:12

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Now, about this cold...

It's currently 34 degrees. The local weather dudes are reporting this as, "bone-chilling" and "frigid" and "icicle-like". People are dressing like it's the South Pole and cars are being warmed up in the morning like it was Fargo. WHAT?!! People. This. Is. Not. COLD!

This is what it was like every stinkin winter when I was a child. Forget that--it was bitterly--and I do mean bitterly, cold. I clearly remember walking to the bus stop in 4 degree weather. FOUR DEGREES YALL! Mike was fondly reminiscing of the days when treking across the Drillfield at Virginia Tech meant having bodily fluids being FROZEN to your face when you got to your destination because 1) Blacksburg can get cold as a witches t** in a brass bra and 2) the Drillfield itself is just pretty much a beautiful, glorified wind-tunnel. You put buildings made of limestone on the perimeters of a concave field that big and see what happens. People walking just get blown over. One girl, walking near me on my way to McBride one day just up and disappeared when a big ol gust came and took her away. (Kidding, but you get the picture).

I, for one, would think that those good people up there in the Northwest where it's oh, say 32 below ZERO like it was yesterday would tend to get a wee bit torqued to hear a two-bit transplant to Virginia, who's likely from, oh I don't know Texas say that 32 degrees is a bit chill-inducing. 32 is balmy, Friends. BALMY.

So here's what I have to say. Buck up. To all my Southerners whom I love and adore, BUCK UP. Buy a scarf for once in your days. Put on a toboggan (yes--a toboggan is a hat--a sled is a sled). Gloves people. And quit yer yappin. It will soon be just the way we like here in the South: hot, muggy, humidity-laden and moquito infested. Yep, July is lookin better already. I'm going to go enjoy my hot chocolate while I can.

p.s. If you happen to live in Texas, please don't take offense at the aforementioned comment. It's just an example.

1 thing to ponder

Kimberly said...

Yep - Buck Up is right!