Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
~1 Timothy 4:12

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Reassurance and the Seven Year Old

This is me just talking this out...getting it out of my head...
I was on the phone with a good friend tonight and she mentioned the picture of Mike I have on my blog (the most recent one) and I said something to the effect of, "Yeah, he's such a hottie. I'm so fortunate I get him". She laughed, I laughed, we all had a good laugh, or so I thought...

Fastforward to 8 pm and I'm putting Devyn to bed. She looked very sad and I asked her what was bothering her. She silently walked over and shut her bedroom door (whoa) and I knew something was up. She told me she needed to talk to me, but she didn't want me to get upset. I told her I wouldn't get upset as long as she was honest with me...so this is what Sweet Girl says:

Well, I heard you on the phone tonight talking about a man that you said you thought was cute. Who were you talking about?

I was talking about your Daddy!!

Oh. Because L (her friend) said that cheating is when you like someone while you like another person at the same time. Are you cheating on Daddy?

My mouth literally dropped open. I was stunned into silence--not angry, just completely stunned. I knew I had to reassure her and convince her that of COURSE I wasn't cheating on her daddy...

"Honey. Your Daddy is my very best friend and I would never cheat on him and he would never cheat on me. We love each other very, very much and we respect each other and we'd never do that to each other".

She said ok, that that's what she thought, but honestly when we began this deployment, of all the concerns I thought she would have, I never, EVER thought that would ever enter her mind. I pray everyday that God will show me how to be the mom He designed me to be and that she'll have the knowledge that her parents love her and cherish her more than anything. So after tonight, I suppose I should start praying a little more for her confidence that mommy and daddy will be ok and stronger every day and especially at the end of all this.

Ok, enough for tonight...I'm off to kiss my babies...and to whisper in their little ears that everything will be more than fine...

0 things to ponder