Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
~1 Timothy 4:12

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Airing it out...

I'm a little bit miffed this evening, so pardon the vent. That said, you've been fairly warned...

When this whole deployment thing started, I had lots of people tell me, "If you need anything CALL ME. I'll be there, whatever you need". Funny how that goes out the window when I do in fact need something.

I was asked to speak at a training event for my business tomorrow--I should note I haven't been asked before, and it was an honor to be asked now. So. I phoned up someone who had told me "I will be THERE in a HEARTBEAT...whatever, WHATEVER you need" and asked them ONE WEEK AGO if they could watch the kids for me until I got home tomorrow evening. Actually, I asked the person they are married to--that person told me they would give the person I was actually asking the message. A week goes by with no response from said person, or said person's spouse. I thought that was a little odd because that's not like them not to call me back. So. Because I'd rather have a sitter on the backburner than depend on one person, I booked a sitter from the agency we use..."just in case". Today I still hadn't heard anything from Said Person, so I phoned up Said Person. Who knew nothing about my plans tomorrow. Which means that Spouse of Said Person never gave Said Person my message. One week ago. Said Person said they would check with Spouse and get back to me.

Should be noted (if I haven't already) that Said Person was one of those who said "Whatever you need...whenever...I expect you to call me". It should also be noted that it's really hard for me to ask for help from people. I'm fiercely independent, probably to a fault, so asking for help from anyone is not something I take lightly. I'm stubborn and independent. Now you know.

So. Said Person called back thirty minutes ago and said that Spouse reminded Said Person of prior arrangements that had been made. Like over a week ago. Back a week ago, I asked Spouse if they had plans for tomorrow. No prior arrangements were noted at the time, or else I would not have asked in the first place. So that means that a sitter is coming to watch Devyn and Aiden for my all-day training event. I won't get home until after they're in bed. Wouldn't be a big deal if Spouse of Said Person AND Said Person hadn't offered "...anything at anytime...whatever you need". Now, I feel terribly let down. Oh...and Said Person mentioned right before I got off the phone, "If you need something again, please call me". Yeah. I'll get right on that.

Here's the thing: If you offer to help someone, be ready to help them. Help isn't always needed when it's convenient for you. Help is needed when it's needed. Don't offer if you don't FULLY intend to follow through.

So with that, rest assured I will not be asking for help anymore from anyone at anytime, except for a very, VERY few select people. I know who means it when they say they'll help me. And I know who doesn't.

Thanks for letting me vent. That's not something you'll hear from me too often, but without a sounding board named Mike here, this is my outlet. I'm done now. Thanks for listening.

0 things to ponder