Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
~1 Timothy 4:12

Friday, May 2, 2008

A Child of the 80's...

I make no apologies for what I am. I am a 100%, bona fide, dyed in the wool Southern girl. I am also, by the grace of God, a child of the 80s. I heard the most awesome song on the radio the other day...the lyrics got me immediately and there I was in the car going "YES! That's my life"! And Devyn followed it up with, "What're parachute pants, mom"? Oh...the humanity. Anyway, here are part of the lyrics to "19 Something" by Mark Wills...

It was the dawning of a new decade
When we got our first microwave
And Dad broke down and finally shaved them old sideburns off
I took the stickers off of my Rubix cube
Watched MTV all afternoon
My first love was Daisy Duke In them cut off jeans
A Space Shuttle fell out of the skyAnd the whole world cried
It was 1980-something In the world that I grew up in
Skating rinks and Black Trans Ams
Big hair and parachute pants
Lookin' back now I can see me
And oh, man did I look cheesy
But I wouldn't trade those days for nothin'
It was 1980-something

See! Isn't that genius?! When I was in elementary school, every Friday afternoon I would carry my 75 cents in the little orange envelope I had and board the school bus to go to Star City Skating Rink. It. Was. AWESOME. In honor of my childhood, I've decided to make a list of my favorite things from the 80s. It's totally gnarly and you won't be begging to be gagged with a spoon.

1. Strawberry Shortcake
2. Puffalumps
3. She-Ra
4. THE SMURFS!!! (I choose to remain naive and believe that they were not gay. They're just little blue elves that are three apples high that live in Mushrooms and are tormented by an evil wizard named Gargamel. As if that's not strange enough)!
5. Card Sharks
6. Let's Make A Deal (Did you know that was filmed at the Hilton in Las Vegas)?
7. The Cosby Show
8. The Golden Girls
9. The Dukes of Hazzard.
10. Dallas. Best. Darn. Show. EVER.
11. Banana Clips
12. PARACHUTE PANTS
13. Circus Of The Stars
14. USA Dance Party
15. USA Cartoon Express (USA had it goin on!)
16. The bath soap that came in a shell shape--although I can't remember the name of it.
17. Actual, ringing, dial telephones.
18. Annie.
19. ET
20. Press Your Luck (whatever happened to really good game shows?!)
21. Blue Eyeshadow.
22. Barbie.
23. Fluppy Dogs
24. Add A Bead Necklaces
25. Double Knit Polyester suits that my mom would wear for Christmas parties.
26. One word: Izod.
27. Feathered Hair
28. Jelly shoes!
29.Showbiz Pizza--where a kid can be a kid!
30. Spaghetti and Meatballs (an 80s cartoon)
31. Shirt Tales
32. Pandemonium (yet another cartoon)
33. My parents white and burgundy 1980 Mercury Monarch. That car was the POO.

I could honestly go on and on. In a lot of ways, I wish Devyn and Aiden could enjoy the simplicity of life the way it was for me, but I suppose they consider their lives to be pretty simple. They'll probably look back one day and say, "I wish my children could enjoy life when it was simple--when all we had was the internet, digital cable, webkinz, Wii, and dvd players in the car".

And so it goes...but I'm still singing "It was 1980 somethin..."

0 things to ponder