Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
~1 Timothy 4:12

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ahhh...Spring Break

There is something loverly and wonderful about Spring Break. Just the name alone conjures up images of bunnies chomping merrily on green grass, bluebirds singing while waving happily to the passing sparrow and my neighbors mowing their yards for the first time of 2008. I LOVE SPRING BREAK! While all the above is wonderful and accurate (ok, except for the super chipper birds), there are other things I adore about Spring Break...

1. Sleeping in until 8:15 am and leisurely getting my cinnamon swirl folgers in my favorite coffee cup.
2. Watching cartoons on tv until odd hours in our pjs with Devyn and Aiden.
3. Not wearing makeup for a solid week and not caring!
4. Catching up--for five days--on Days of Our Lives--and then completely losing track again.
5. Cleaning the house at a steady pace--and not in a mad rush.

However, there are things about this Spring Break that are very prevalent:
1. I miss laying my head on Mike's chest while he watches March Madness.
2. I miss watching the spring Red Sox games with him...
3. I miss observing Devyn & Aiden playing soccer with their daddy in the backyard.
4. I miss smelling the grill in use at dusk while Mike fixes the chicken, or steak, or chops. It's not the same when I do it.
5. I miss Mike. I miss him ribbing me about the tv I choose to watch, watching him tucking the kids in at night, and seeing him walk through the garage door in the evening and seeing the kids run to greet him.

I tell Aiden when he asks "how long" that we have to go through Spring and then Summer. Well, it's Spring and we've made it this far! It's a small victory, but one I'm very proud of. In 5 days, we'll have gone the longest apart that we have in 6 years. Six years! Six years ago at this time, Devyn was just starting to call me mama (she mastered "daddy" long before)...we were on the verge of moving to a new country...she was this curly headed little doll who loved banana pudding and squash and apples. She's still that same little doll, but we've added a prince, two different cars, a different home, a cat, we've visited 5 countries and come home.

What a crazy, amazing, severly blessed ride...and I wouldn't have it any other way...

2 things to ponder

Tracy said...

Wow, Carrie, this gave me chills. You are such an amazing woman, wife, and mother. (((Hugs)))

Nicky said...

Oh sweetheart - my heart breaks for you. Honestly. You are such an amazing woman with such a great capacity for love, whether it's your friends, children or beloved Mike. Keep smiling, dear one!