Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
~1 Timothy 4:12

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Conversations with a four year old

Aiden is completely conversational. And in being so, he tends to use these big words that he understands, but takes completely out of context. Take this morning for example (ok, 5 minutes ago):

In talking with the kids about getting a dog, I showed them some pictures on the akc website of certain breeds and they told me which ones they liked. Here's how it went:
A: I like that little dog. He's very available.
Me: Available? What do you mean sweetie?
A: He's available! You know!
Me: Yep, he is available--we might get a dog like this one.
A: NO! YOU KNOW! AVAILLLLABLEEEE.
Me: Ok. What?
A: For Tuxie (our cat). He's available.
Me: (totally stumped now). Ok. So he's available for Tuxie. What does that mean A?
A: Dogs chase cats. It's what they dooooo. He's available to chase Tuxie, although he probably wouldn't because he's completed.
Me: Completed? You mean he wouldn't chase Tux because he's finished? (WHAT?!!)
A: Ughhhhh. He's completed Mommy. Like how he runs in races and jumps over things like on that show you watch on tv that you made me watch?! (Note: I don't make him watch anything--once, when I thought he might be interested in something, I lightly suggested he sit down with me and watch it. And he did. And he liked it!)
Me: Ohhhh...you mean the canine competition on Animal Planet. Riiight. He competed.
A: Yep. He's available and he's completed.

The thing is, I LOVE having conversations with Aiden. He can talk anyone into anything, or he can talk to anyone about anything. He loves people and most of the time enjoys talking, except if he's on the phone. He doesn't dig that, and I think it's because he can't be himself--he's animated and lively and I think he belives the phone takes something away from that quality in him. Still though, he's a riot. He's definitely our talker, our conversationalist, and Devyn is absolutely our entertainer. She communicates best that way, I think...either dancing or picking out a tune on the piano or being her silly self.

Either way, they're both such little blessings. I thank God every day that He made me their mama. Ending with a few sweet pictures of them that I just love...





November 2003 January 2005 July 2007

3 things to ponder

Faithful Froggers said...

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on our site!

I loved the conversation with your son - how adorable and too funny. He is such a cutie!

Love & FROG,
Heather

Jen said...

Carrie,

I am thinking about and praying for you often. And, next time I have an "interesting" conversation with my 4 year old I will smile and thing of you :) Will you email me at ingersollnd@hotmail.com? I have a question to ask you.

Big Hugs,
Jen

Beth said...

Ahhhh! This totally cracks me up! I love it!

I've been forgetting to check your blog - please email me when you post so I don't go so long in between. Gotta get my Owen Family Fix!!!

Love ya!!!