Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
~1 Timothy 4:12

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Don Slater, Tornadoes, and 3 am

Last night, after putting the kiddles to bed, this little ticker runs across the bottom of the tv screen and said something like "Tornado Watch until 3 am for the cities of James City County, Smithfield, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Virginia Beach"...etc. Ok, now I will gladly cop to the fact that I probably watched The Wizard of Oz one too many times as a kid. That probably has everything to do with the wretched fear I have of tornadoes. I've never seen a tornado, never been through one, but ANYTHING that comes through town that dictates you have to duck in a bathtub, lower northwest corner of the house with a MATTRESS over your head CANNOT be good. I sat up until about 11:30 watching weather reports, and finally fell asleep with the complete faith that we would be fine...God's hand of protection was, and is over us.


Fast-forward to 1:30 am and this WICKED wind is whipping the house. I literally sat bolt-upright in bed and turned on the tv, only to find Don Slater, one of our weathermen, on tv talking the freaked-out 1:30 am population who were awake at that time through the storm. Thank GOD for Don Slater. I could see the storm moving and knew that it would be out of the area in about an hour. I didn't go back to sleep, but I did relax a bit.


2:30 am and I hear Aiden calling, panicked, "Mommy! I need you Mommy"! This happened the night before and knowing that he probably had a bad dream, I went in to stay with him for a moment. Poor kid was terrified. I brough him into bed with me and he STILL wouldn't settle down. Then, I hear him whisper to me, his voice cracking "Mommy...I hoped my Daddy was here so I could cuddle with him". And now he's really crying. The only thing I could do was pray for him and just hold him and talk to him about how much his Daddy loved him, and that he didn't want to leave, but he had to go for his job and that he'll be back. "How many days Mommy until Daddy comes home "? Oh boy...I told him it would seem like a long time, but that Daddy would be home. He was so upset...I asked him if he wanted to write Daddy a letter to tell him how he felt, and he said yes, so at 3 am, Aiden and I sat in my bed, writing a letter to Daddy. I think that helped Aiden to settle down, and he managed to fall asleep around 3:40 am, and I think I fell asleep around 4:15. A long, tough night, but I'm happy, and relieved to say that no tornadoes touched down, and damage was minimal. Thank you Father, for keeping us safe!


On a funnier note, I am more determined than ever to NEVER live in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Nebraska. Tornado magnets. No thank you!


Closing with a sweet picture of me and my sweet boy, on the Teacup Ride at Disney World last July:
Aiden, and his goofy smile!

0 things to ponder